Hello subscribers! I know I know, it’s been a whole since my last update and I apologize for that. So I hope the information included below is helpful. Can’t believe we are already in mid-February! Lots of updates and events happening around HRM. Thanks for your patience!
List of events and notices – here’s what is included:
- 2020 Budget Info
- Parking permit restrictions for winter season
- Federal, Romans & McAlpine Avenue Sewer Separation Pubic meeting
- The Power of Poetry: Celebrating Halifax Poet Laureate Afua Cooper
- Public Hearing: Development Agreement for Almon Street and Gladstone Street
- Heritage Day at Africville
- Emera Oval Character Skate (Heritage Day)
- African Heritage Month Events
- Pancake Supper at Saint Margaret of Scotland church
- Mayflower’s 115th Birthday
- The Community Health Team Free Programs (March-August 2020)
- Mobile Food Market North End
Items of Interest:
- February North End Community Circle Roundtable Notes
- Halifax receives Tree Cities of the World designation
- RoadWorks Map (Sidewalk/street Closures & Disruptions)
- Sign up for hfxALERT
- Halifax Water Board Reports
- North End Business Association
- Quinpool Road Business Association
Council Coordinator: Jennifer Weagle
311 – HRM’s Call Centre
HRM’s call centre is open 8am-8pm Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm weekends to respond to routine inquiries and complaints from HRM residents. Please use this service since it helps HRM keep track of issues that are of concern for residents (missed solid waste pickup, sidewalks not cleared, transit info or complaints, etc.) For more information please visit http://www.halifax.ca/311/
Please send your feedback on issues before Community Council and Regional Council – and on any municipal issue. If you would like to send your comments to all Regional Councillors please email the Clerk’s Office (email@example.com) so that your comments are shared and are part of the public record.
If you would like to send events or information to be possibly included in my e-newsletter, please email with the subject line “E-Newsletter”
We are currently in the finial stages of approving our 2020 Budget. Council gave the initial direction for staff to prepare a budget based on a 1.5% increase to the average tax bill (approximately $30). You can follow along and get information on our Budget here.
Councillor Sam Austin has a very detailed and informative update from our last session. Please take a moment and check it out. https://samaustin.ca/council-update-budget-2020/
Parking permit restrictions for winter season
There will be restrictions on monthly parking permits on a select number of downtown streets for the winter season. These restrictions will be in effect Friday, Nov. 15th, 2019 to Wednesday, April 15th, 2020.
Monthly parking permits will not be available for the following streets:
Creighton Street between Cogswell St and Falkland St
Maynard Street between Cogswell St and Cornwallis St
Restricting parking permits on these streets will help winter crews in snow clearing during a winter storm event. For more information, visit www.halifax.ca/transportation/parking
Federal, Romans & McAlpine Avenue Sewer Separation Pubic meeting
Taking place Monday, February 24th, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM at Halifax Independent School (3331 Connaught Avenue, Halifax). Halifax Water’s work will include installation of new water main and storm sewer. The municipality will be undertaking various street improvements including curb, gutter and new pavement work.
More information: https://www.halifaxwater.ca/project/federal-romans-mcalpine-avenue-sewer-separation
The Power of Poetry: Celebrating Halifax Poet Laureate Afua Cooper
Thursday, February 20th, 7:00PM – 8:30PM Halifax City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street
Discover the powerful poetry of Dr. Afua Cooper, Halifax’s current Poet Laureate. More info
Case 22177: Development Agreement for Almon Street and Gladstone Street, Halifax
That Halifax and West Community Council:
- Approve the proposed development agreement, which shall be substantially of the same form as set out in Attachment A of the staff report dated January 7, 2020; and
- Require the agreement be signed by the property owner within 120 days, or any extension thereof granted by Council on request of the property owner, from the date of final approval by Council and any other bodies as necessary, including applicable appeal periods, whichever is later; otherwise this approval will be void and obligations arising hereunder shall be at an end.
Heritage Day at Africville
Monday, February 17th is Nova Scotia Heritage Day, and this year’s 2020 Honouree is the community of Africville. Below you will find information on events that are taking place at Africville to celebrate Heritage Day 2020. Heritage Day Information
- 10:00am – Sliding through Africville – Bring your sleds and celebrate Africville with some great winter fun, and tasty hot chocolate as well. Weather permitting.
- 11:00am – Dedication of Africville (part I) –An exciting announcement will be made regarding the original Church Bell of Africville. A ceremony will take place at the Church and a reception will be held afterwards.
- 12:00pm – Dedication of Africville (part II) – Location: Stanfield International Airport. Participants from Beechville and Africville will travel to the airport and share the dedication with travelers. Africville baggage tags will be distributed.
Emera Oval Character Skate (Heritage Day)
On Nova Scotia Heritage Day, come to the Oval dressed as your favourite mascot or character! Face painting, hot chocolate, and photo opportunities with visiting mascots. A fun afternoon for the whole family. February 17th 1:00PM – 3:00PM and Fireworks during public skate from 7:00PM – 8:30PM
African Heritage Month Events
2020’s African Heritage Month theme is The Ties that Bind: Faith, Family and Community, recognizes the essential traits that sustain the strength, resiliency and togetherness of the African Nova Scotian community. With many events and observations happening well beyond February, the links below will help you stay up to date with events occurring.
Halifax Public Library: http://ahm.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/
African Nova Scotian Affairs: https://ansa.novascotia.ca/calendar
Pancake Supper at Saint Margaret of Scotland church
Join Saint Margaret of Scotland church hall and residents on Tuesday, February 25th from 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM for Pancake supper with sausage.
Children (under 12) $3.00, Adults $7.00 (Includes tea/ coffee and dessert)
There will be a bake table and a craft & book table Take outs available Wheelchair accessible
Mayflower’s 115th Birthday
Mayflower Curling Club is celebrating 115th birthday! February 22nd from 3:00PM – 8:00PM at the Mayflower Curling Club 3000 Monaghan Dr., Halifax.
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/472016860163788/
The Community Health Team Free Programs (March-August 2020)
The Community Health Teams offer FREE wellness programs and wellness navigation services in the District. View offered programs here: http://www.nshealth.ca/sites/nshealth.ca/files/march-august_2020_community_health_team_program_guide.pdf
Mobile Food Market North End
The Mobile Food Market focuses on making healthy, affordable, high quality food available in communities with limited access to healthy food. Currently the Mobile Food operates in 13 locations across 5 communities.
Next Market: February 22nd 9:30AM – 11:00AM at the Needham Rec Centre (3372 Devonshire Avenue Halifax)
Find more community events on my Facebook page:
Items of Interest:
February North End Community Circle Roundtable Notes
February Notes: https://www.veithhouse.com/february-2020-notes
Next meeting: March 4th, 2020 at 10:00am at Veith House
Halifax receives Tree Cities of the World designation
I am very excited to report that The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) along with the Arbor Day Foundation has recognized Halifax with Tree Cities of the World designation. This international program celebrates cities across all continents that meet core standards for the care and planning of urban trees and forests. Go Halifax!
Learn more here: https://treecitiesoftheworld.org/standards.cfm
RoadWorks Map (Sidewalk/street Closures & Disruptions)
View the RoadWorks map to see current and upcoming sidewalk and street closures.
Sign up for hfxALERT
hfxALERT is our mass notification system for the municipality, keeping residents informed about emergencies and operations updates. Sign up here
Halifax Water Board Reports
Please find below the link that will take you to the location where all of the Halifax Water Board meeting reports are posted (with the exception of In-Camera reports
North End Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses in the north end please visit the North End Business Association http://gonorthhalifax.ca/ and sign up for their monthly email.
Quinpool Road Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses on Quinpool Road please visit their website: www.quinpoolroad.ca/
My other Committee and Board commitments:
Halifax and West Community Council
Next Meeting: Tuesday, February 18th 6:00PM – 8:00PM City Hall
Community Planning & Economic Development
Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boards-committees-commissions/h/halifax-peninsula-planning-advisory-committee
Community Design Advisory Committee
Transportation Standing Committee
Board of Police Commissioners
HRM Grants Committee
(CACE) The Council on African Canadian Education