Participatory Budget Results (Good news/Bad News)
Hello Subscribers! Thank you to everyone who showed interest in participating in Participatory Budgeting. *The Bad news* Unfortunately again this year we didn’t receive enough applications to prompt a vote night…but we have an alternative! *The Good news* Many of the community organizations who will be receiving funding have agreed to partner with me to hold a Community BBQ! The purpose will be for residents to learn more about the organizations who were successful, to meet your neighbors, and to see some of the items purchased with Participatory Budget funding at work! More details on the BBQ will follow!
List of successful applicants:
- SJAM – Outdoor beautification shrubs and plants
- Halifax Refugee Clinic Association – Laptops
- St. George’s Youth Net Society – Sound System and BBQ
- Northern Lights Lantern Festival Society – BBQ, Tents, Coolers, propane Tanks
- Veith House – Community Garden supplies, outdoor furniture
- Dramatic Changes Art Society – AV technology and stage lighting
- Adsum for Women and Children – Furniture for shelter
- The Halifax Tool Library Society – Tools and construction materials
- The Halifax Cycling Coalition – Bike generator, AC Power converter, power cable
- Partners for Care – Garden essentials, signage
- The Bus Stop Theatre Coop – various theatre inventory and equipment
Community Town Halls!
Thank you to everyone who attended the last Town Hall held at The Ward 5 Neighbourhood Centre. There were some great discussions with some action items for me to work on. These Town Halls are part of a series that will be held all over the District. Look forward to further dates and locations for future Town Halls.
*Reminder* Next Town Hall Thursday June 21st, 7:00pm – 8:30pm at the Halifax Forum Maritime Hall, 2901 Windsor Street
List of events and notices – here’s what is included:
- Public Hearing – Case 18966 – 6009 and 6017 Quinpool Road
- The 7th annual North End Community BBQ
- North Central Community Council Community Meeting
- Northwood Mainstreet Market
- Halifax Community Health Team Programs
- Film Screening: Black Panther (Halifax North Branch Library)
- Casserole Luncheon St Margaret of Scotland Church
- I am Potential – Life Active Camp July 3rd-7th
Items of Interest:
- June North End Community Circle Roundtable Notes
- North End Business Association
- Quinpool Road Business Association looking for Board members
- HRM’s New Litter Campaign
- Regional Council – Next Meeting June 19th 10:00am
- Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee – Next Meeting June 25th 4:30pm
- Halifax and West Community Council – Next Meeting June 26th 6:00pm
- Active Transportation Advisory Committee – Next Meeting June 21st 4:00pm
- Community Planning & Economic Development – Next Meeting June 21st 10:00am
- Community Design Advisory Committee – Next Meeting June 27th 11:30am
- Other Committee and Board commitments
Council Coordinator: Nadine Yuriev
311 – HRM’s Call Centre
HRM’s call centre is open 8am-8pm Mon-Fri, 9am-5:30pm weekends to respond to routine inquiries and complaints from HRM residents. Please use this service since it helps HRM keep track of issues that are of concern for residents (missed solid waste pickup, sidewalks not cleared, transit info or complaints, etc.) For more information please visit http://www.halifax.ca/311/
Please send your feedback on issues before Community Council and Regional Council – and on any municipal issue. If you would like to send your comments to all Regional Councillors please email the Clerk’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that your comments are shared and are part of the public record.
If you would like to send events or information to be possibly included in my e-newsletter, please email with the subject line “E-Newsletter”
6:00pm Council Chambers – 11.2 Case 18966 – Revised Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and the Land-Use By-law for Halifax Peninsula (LUB) for 6009 and 6017 Quinpool Road, Halifax [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the proposed amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-law for Halifax Peninsula as per the revised attachments A and B of the staff report dated April 25, 2018, as circulated at the May 22, 2018 meeting, regarding undergrounding of all electrical and utility wires and the number of affordable dwelling units.
Public Hearing Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/regional-council/public-hearings
The 7th annual North End Community BBQ
Join the Community at Isleville Park on Wednesday, June 20th from 4:00pm-6:00pm for a great time! Bring your appetite, your neighbor & a potluck salad to share!
For more info contact Nick: email@example.com or 902-453-4320
North Central Community Council Community Meeting
The North Central Community Council is calling a community meeting to discuss the St. Pat’s Alexandra sale and site. Meeting will be held June 21st from 7:00pm – 8:30pm at The North Branch Library 2285 Gottingen St.
Northwood Mainstreet Market
Love to browse and shop? Northwood brings shopping, to you! Enjoy a variety of local vendors with baked goods, jewelry, crafts and high end personal care items. June 22nd 10:00am at 2615 Northwood Terrace, Halifax
Interested in becoming a vendor? Contact Community Recreation & Wellness for more information (902) 454-3351 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Halifax Community Health Team Programs
- Introduction to Take Charge of Stress – Northwood Manor, 2615 Northwood Terrace Friday, June 1st from 10:00 – 12:00pm
- Take Charge of Your Stress 4 Week Program Johanna B. Oosterveld Centre 2131 Gottingen St Fridays, June 8th – June 29th from 10:00 – 12:00pm
- Introduction to Making The Most Of Your Food Dollar Community Health Team – Suite105, 6080 Young St. Tuesday, July 10th from 1:30pm – 3:00pm
Film Screening: Black Panther (Halifax North Branch Library)
Walk along the red carpet to a glamourous and FREE screening of Black Panther. Wednesday June, 27th 6:30pm at the Halifax North Branch Library
Casserole Luncheon St Margaret of Scotland Church
Casserole Luncheon on Thursday, June 28th 11:30am to 1:00pm at St Margaret of Scotland Church (3751 Robie Steet)
Students & Seniors $7.50
I am Potential – Life Active Camp July 3rd-7th
For North End Junior High Youth – At Life Active Camp we aim to help your child learn to live an active life. We want to focus on a well-rounded development experience, having opportunities to meet community leaders, volunteer, explore the outdoors, and have excellent basketball skill development. Every youth will get the individual attention they need to grow as a whole person, physically, socially, mentally, and spiritually.
Learn more here: https://www.facebook.com/iampotentialhalifax/
Items of Interest:
June North End Community Circle Roundtable Notes:
North End Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses in the north end please visit the North End Business Association http://gonorthhalifax.ca/ and sign up for their monthly email.
Quinpool Road Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses on Quinpool Road please visit their website: www.quinpoolroad.ca/
HRM’s New Litter Campaign
Everyone knows they shouldn’t litter, but there are still some who ignore the message or overlook the impact of what may seem like small or unnoticeable actions. View the ad here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y68ptUvFTz8
Learn more: https://www.halifax.ca/litter
My other Committee and Board commitments:
Next Meeting: June 19th 10:00 am | Council Chambers, City Hall
Agenda for next meeting: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/regional-council/june-19-2018-halifax-regional-council
- 1.1 Second Reading Proposed By-law U-104, an Amendment to By-law U-100, Respecting User Charges – Department of Community Services Transit Pass Program [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt By-law U-104, the purpose of which is to:
Amend Schedule 1 of By-law U-100, Respecting User Charges, establishing the Department of Community Services Pass, and
2. To approve annual passes as proof of payment for dependants under 12 years of age who are accompanying the annual pass holder as set out in Attachment C of the staff report dated May 7, 2018.
- 1.5 17-378 Award of Request For Proposal – Supply of up to Forty (40) Para-Transit Buses [PDF] (Assess-A-Bus)
That Halifax Regional Council:
- Award Request For Proposal (RFP) no. P17-378 “Supply of up to 40 Para-Transit Buses” to the highest scoring proponent, Crestline Coach for a total value of $3,913,209 (net HST included) over a three-year period.
- Authorize the purchase of six (6) Para-Transit expansion vehicles for fiscal year 2018/2019, for a total price of $581,459 (net HST included) with funding from CM180002 (Access-A-Bus Expansion) as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated March 26, 2018.
- Authorize the purchase of three (3) Para-Transit replacement vehicles for fiscal year 2018/2019, for a total price of $290,730 (net HST included) with funding from CVD00430 (Access-A-Bus Replacement) as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated March 26, 2018.
- 1.10 First Reading Proposed By-Law N-303, an Amendment to By-law N-300, Respecting Nuisances – Municipal Framework for Legalizing Cannabis [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt By-law N-303, amending By-law N-300, the Nuisance By-law, as set out in Attachment 2 of the staff report dated May 25, 2018.
Halifax and West Community Council
Next Meeting: June 26th 6:00 | Council Chambers, City Hall (Special Meeting)
Agenda for next meeting: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/community-councils/may-15-2018-halifax-west-community-council
Community Planning & Economic Development
Next Meeting: June 21st 10:00 am | Council Chambers, City Hall
Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee (Formally District 7 and 8 Planning Advisory Committee)
Next Meeting: Monday June 25th at 4:30pm | Halifax Hall, main floor City Hall
Community Design Advisory Committee
Next Meeting: Wednesday June 27th at 11:00am| Halifax Hall, main floor City Hall
Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Advisory Committee
Active Transportation Advisory Committee
Next Meeting: Thursday June 21st at 4:00pm | Halifax Hall, main floor City Hall
Transportation Standing Committee
Next Meeting: Thursday June 28th 1:00pm | Council Chambers, City Hall
HRM Grants Committee
(CACE) The Council on African Canadian Education