Residents and Friends,
List of events and notices – here’s what is included:
- Halifax Transit Recruitment
- Multicultural Day at The Maritime Muslim Academy (MMA)
- StART Festival 2017
- Community Gathering #2 – Gentrification: A Hip Hop Musical
- St Joseph’s A McKay School Wine & Beer Tasting & Silent Auction
- Kempt Rd and Robie St upcoming roadwork
- The Mobile Food Market
Items of Interest
- March North End Community Circle Roundtable Notes
- Update on Angus L Macdonald Bridge Redecking
- North End Business Association
- Quinpool Road Business Association
- CFB update regarding the various construction and demolition projects
- Regional Council Reports and Agendas
- Case 18966 for 6009 and 6017 Quinpool Road, Halifax
- Halifax and West Community Council Reports and Agendas
- District 7 & 8 Planning Advisory Council Reports and Agendas
- Halifax Regional Council Committee of the Whole
- My other Committee and Board commitments
- Halifax Green Network Plan – Planning & Implementation Directions
Council Coordinator: Nadine Yuriev
311 – HRM’s Call Centre
HRM’s call centre is open 7 days/week from 7 am to 11 pm to respond to routine inquiries and complaints from HRM residents. Please use this service since it helps HRM keep track of issues that are of concern for residents (missed solid waste pickup, sidewalks not cleared, transit info or complaints, etc.) For more information please visit http://www.halifax.ca/311/
Please send your feedback on issues before Community Council and Regional Council – and on any municipal issue. If you would like to send your comments to all Regional Councillors please email the Clerk’s Office (email@example.com) so that your comments are shared and are part of the public record.
Halifax Transit Recruitment
Halifax Transit will be recruiting for Bus Operators commencing April 12, 2017 with a campaign closing date of April 26, 2017 at midnight. You may apply online at www.halifax.ca/employment/ between these dates.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
- March 30th, 2017 6:30 p.m. – Halifax Forum (Maritime Hall) 2901 Windsor St.
- April 4th, 2017 12:00 p.m. – Dartmouth North Community Centre 105 Highfield Park Dr.
- April 5th, 2017 6:30 p.m. – Sackville Fire Station 1 Metropolitan Ave.
- April 10th, 2017 6:30 p.m. – Cherrybrook Black Cultural Centre 10 Cherry Brook Rd
The Selection process consists of a variety of tests. Detailed information on the stages of the Hiring Process is available at http://www.halifax.ca/transit/careeropportunities.php/ click on “2017 Bus Operator Hiring Guide”. We also encourage you to take our Quiz ‘Is This Job For You?’
Multicultural Day at The Maritime Muslim Academy (MMA)
Join The Maritime Muslim Academy (MMA) for their first multicultural event. Being held on Saturday March 25, 2017, at the Ummah Masjid and Community centre, 2510 St Matthias St. from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Free admission – Food, art, henna, face painting, and multicultural cookbook will be for sale.
For more information:
StART Festival 2017
StArt is a local organization that supports emerging artists of all disciplines. Based out of K’jipuktuk / Halifax, Nova Scotia, StArt works to empower artists with the skills, networks, and resolve necessary to pursue their chosen vocation.
March 25 – March 26:
Opening night, Doors open 7:30PM being held at The Bus Stop Theatre Co-op 2203 Gottingen Street, Halifax
More information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1128066410654610/
Community Gathering #2 – Gentrification: A Hip Hop Musical
Gentrification: A Hip Hop Musical is a community arts project addressing how gentrification is affecting our community, the Halifax North End
Gathering #2: Saturday, April 8 at 2 PM – 4 PM @ George Dixon Recreation, Centre 2501 Gottingen St, Halifax
St Joseph’s A McKay School Wine & Beer Tasting & Silent Auction
Tickets are: $30.00 each for full tasting, food and auction and can be purchased at the door the night of the event. Must be 19+.
Friday, April 7th at 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. @ T4G 3377 Kempt Rd, Halifax
Each year this event raises money that goes directly back into the classrooms to support our students. From musical instruments, to educational field trips.
More information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1313676445357591/
Kempt Rd and Robie St upcoming roadwork
A letter was mailed out to residents along Kempt Rd and Robie St, here are some of the high lights:
Re: Kempt Road (Commission St to Young St), Robie St (Livingston St to Young St), Halifax Peninsula North
The Halifax Regional Municipality’s (HRM) 2016/17 Capital Budget provides for the milling and paving as well as some curb and sidewalk repair on Kempt Rd from Commission St to Young St, and on Robie St from Livingston St to Young St. The proposed work will involve tie-in to driveways and some lawn slopes, but it is expected that most work will be within HRM’s right-of-way. This work was initially planned for the 2016 construction season, but was delayed and is now planned for the 2017 construction season.
All efforts will be taken to reduce the impact to your property during construction and a follow-up notice will be delivered to your property prior to the start of work. Please contact the undersigned at 490-1457 if you have any questions, or if you are aware of any problems (i.e., drainage or sewer lateral issues).
Other areas to expect proposed paving and related works for the 2017 construction season, if approved by Council:
- Gottingen Street (Almon Street to Young Street)
- Novalea Drive (Young Street to Kenny Street)
- Kaye Street (Isleville Street to Gottingen Street)
- Union Street (Kenny Street to Young Street)
- Kenny Street (Novalea Drive to Devonshire Avenue)
The Mobile Food Market
The Mobile Food Market is back! Now set up at the Needham Recreation Centre every second Saturday from 9:45-11:15am. The next market is Saturday, March 25th until May 20th.
Items of Interest
March North End Community Circle Roundtable Notes:
Next Roundtable: Wednesday, April 5th, 2017. 10am at Halifax North Memorial Library
Update on Angus L Macdonald Bridge Redecking
For information about the redecking project (2015-2017) go to Big Lift: www.thebiglift.ca
North End Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses in the north end please visit the North End Business Association http://gonorthhalifax.ca/ and sign up for their monthly email.
Quinpool Road Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses on Quinpool Road please visit their website: www.quinpoolroad.ca/
CFB update regarding the various construction and demolition projects
A letter was sent out to residents from North St. to Fuller Terrace / Isleville St. turning onto Sullivan / Kaye St. and then along Barrington, back to North St. The letter included this information:
- The former Fleet Club on Barrington Street is in the process of demolition. Presently the interior of the building is being remediated. Exterior deconstruction is scheduled to start the first part of April and should be completed by mid-May 2017. The area will be turned into a parking lot.
- A-Block (sailor’s residence) on Gottingen Street is in the process of demolition. Presently the interior of the building is being remediated. Exterior deconstruction is scheduled to start during the last week of May and is scheduled to be completed by the end of July 2017. Future use of the land will be announced at a later date.
- The main gate to the Base on Gottingen Street will be moved to align with Almon Street as soon as A-Block’s deconstruction has been completed.
Throughout the coming months there will be an increased number of construction vehicles operating on the Base, but they will conduct the majority of their transportation outside periods of heavy traffic (7 a.m. – 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.) using the main gate on Gottingen Street. Unfortunately, the work will produce noise and dust debris. I can assure you however that the contractor will take all appropriate safety and security precautions to ensure the least possible impact. Further, deconstruction will only be done during the week, from Monday to Friday, between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m., in accordance with City bylaws. A vermin control protocol was initiated well before deconstruction started in order to reduce the number of rodents that could possibly be displaced by all of this activity.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Mike Bonin, Base Public Affairs Officer, at 902-721-1968 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Council Reports and Agendas
Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 1:00 p.m. | City Hall, Halifax Council Chambers
The next meeting of Halifax Regional Council will take place on Tuesday, March 21st at 1:00 p.m. in Halifax Council Chambers at City Hall. To check the agenda please go to: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/cagenda.php
- 14.3.1 Case 18966 – Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-Law (LUB) for 6009 and 6017 Quinpool Road, Halifax (9.6 Mb)
- That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to consider the proposed amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy and the Land Use By-law for the Halifax Peninsula, as set out in Attachments A and B of the January 20, 2017 report, with the exception that the overall height of the development as referenced in 2.10.1(c) of the proposed policy be amended to allow for a building no greater than 62 metres, and schedule a public hearing.
- Report: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/170321ca1431.pdf
- 14.5.1 Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Grants Program Recommended Awards – Fiscal Year 2016
- That Halifax Regional Council approve the ten (10) grants as detailed in the Discussion section of the February 1, 2017 staff report, plus an application from the Atlantic Book Awards Society, as outlined on page 11 of the staff report, for a total of eleven (11) grants with a combined total of $76,480 from Account M311-8004.
- Report: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/170321ca1451.pdf
Halifax and West Community Council Reports and Agendas
Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017 6:00 p.m. | City Hall, Halifax Council Chambers
Please check the webpage here for agendas (usually available a week before the meeting), locations and times. http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/west/index.php
- (Public Hearing) 10.1.1 Case 19238: Development Agreement 2631 A & B – 2639 Fuller Terrace, Halifax
- That Halifax and West Community Council:
- Approve the proposed Development Agreement, included as Attachment A of the November 10, 2014 staff report; and
- Require the Development Agreement be signed by the property owner within 120 days, or any extension thereof granted by Council on request of the property owner, from the date of final approval by Council and any other bodies as necessary, including applicable appeal periods, whichever is later; otherwise this approval will be void and obligations arising hereunder shall be at an end.
District 7 & 8 Planning Advisory Council Reports and Agendas
The District 7&8 Planning Advisory Committee meets once a month to discuss and provide feedback to council on planning proposals for the two districts. Please check the webpage for agendas (usually available a week before the meeting), locations and times: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/D78PAC/index.php
My other Committee and Board commitments:
Community Planning & Economic Development
Meeting Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 10:00 a.m. | City Hall, Halifax Council Chambers
- 12.1.1 Halifax Green Network Plan – Planning & Implementation Directions
- That the Community Planning & Economic Development Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
- Direct that staff use the Halifax Green Network Plan Primer December 2016, attached as Attachment A of the staff report dated February 2, 2017, as the framework for the final phase of public engagement, and for the development of the full consolidated Halifax Green Network Plan, and that staff return to Council for its consideration of the resulting Plan.
Transportation Standing Committee
Meeting Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 1:00 p.m. | City Hall, Halifax Council Chambers
- 12.1.3 Speed Limits in Residential Areas
- That That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council submit a request to the Province of Nova Scotia to reduce the speed limit in residential districts identified in section 101(2) of the Motor Vehicle Act to forty kilometres per hour (40 km/h).
- Report: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/SCtransp/documents/170323tsc1213.pdf
Community Design Advisory Committee
Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Advisory Committee
Active Transportation Advisory Committee
HRM Grants Committee
(CACE) The Council on African Canadian Education