Residents and Friends,
List of events and notices – here’s what is included:
- Municipal Overnight Winter Parking Ban – Starting Dec 15th
- Community Advocates Network Letters to Santa event – Dec 15th
- North End Parent Resource Centre 30th Anniversary Celebration & other events – Dec 21st
- Job Opportunity: North End Community Circle (NECC) Facilitator – Deadline Dec 16th
- Job Opportunity: Ecology Action Centre Community – Energy Campaigner
- District 8 Development Proposals Feedback
Items of Interest
- December North End Roundtable Notes
- Social Innovator Award – $10,000 award to fuel social innovation in the Halifax Region.
- HomeWarming Program for Low Income Residents to Improve Energy Efficiency
- Update on Angus L Macdonald Bridge Redecking
- North End Business Association
- Quinpool Road Business Association
- Regional Council Reports and Agendas
- Halifax Needs Assessment report and motion
- Implementation of Density Bonusing for Private Rental Affordable Housing in the Regional Centre report and motion
- Halifax and West Community Council Reports and Agendas
Please be advised:
I will be on Vacation beginning on December 20th ending January 2nd 2017. During this time please contact Council Coordinator or 311:
311 – HRM’s Call Centre
HRM’s call centre is open 7 days/week from 7 am to 11 pm to respond to routine inquiries and complaints from HRM residents. Please use this service since it helps HRM keep track of issues that are of concern for residents (missed solid waste pickup, sidewalks not cleared, transit info or complaints, etc.) For more information please visit http://www.halifax.ca/311/
Please send your feedback on issues before Community Council and Regional Council – and on any municipal issue. If you would like to send your comments to all Regional Councillors please email the Clerk’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that your comments are shared and are part of the public record.
Municipal Overnight Winter Parking Ban – Starting Dec 15th
With winter weather upon us, the municipality is reminding residents that when and where you park can have a big impact on snow clearing. The municipal overnight winter parking ban will be in effect again this year starting on Thursday, Dec. 15, and continuing until Mar. 31, 2017.
As in previous seasons, the ban will be enforced between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m., only during declared snow and ice events and extended clearing operations. Residents are encouraged to plan ahead when snow is in the forecast and secure off-street parking for when the overnight parking ban is enforced.
The easiest way to stay informed of the overnight parking ban is to sign up for automated notifications. Register online at www.halifax.ca/snow/parkingban/notifications.php, call 311 or email email@example.com. Subscribers will receive timely alerts by phone, email, and/or text message when the ban is in effect and again when it is lifted.
To help avoid a ticket and the hassle and costs of being towed, residents should ask themselves these four questions when considering parking on the street this winter:
- Is the overnight parking ban currently being enforced?
- Is your vehicle causing a safety issue?
- Is it making the road impassable?
- Is it impeding snow operations underway in the area?
For more information on municipal winter operations, please visit www.halifax.ca/snow
North End Parent Resource Centre 30th Anniversary Celebration – Dec 21st
Join the Parent Resource Centre (5475 Uniacke St.) on Wednesday, December 21st from 4:00pm-6:00pm to celebrate their 30th Anniversary. Special guest include George Elliott Clarke and Maureen MacDonald.
Christmas Bingo December 14th
For me information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-492-0133
For more information and to apply: http://www.indeed.ca/cmp/Veith-House/jobs/North-End-Community-Circle-Facilitator-ded87bc5319d01c2?q=north+end+community
- 4 lots at corner of Robie and Duffus including Cousin’s Restaurant, Needs Corner store for 6 storey building (see #1)
- Robie St between Compton and Cunard for 13 storey building (see #10)
- West side of Agricola Street, mid-block between West and Charles Streets for 5 storey building (see #11)
- Former United Memorial Church site on Kaye St for 7 storey building (see #13)
For further info on the applications and staff contact info go to:
Items of Interest
Beginning in January 2017, the roundtable will return to alternating locations between the Halifax North Memorial Library on Gottingen and Veith House.
With the completion of the Richmond Terminals redevelopment project, traffic in the area is increasing and will continue to do so. The new 3-way stop signs are a proactive safety measure.
North End Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses in the north end please visit the North End Business Association http://gonorthhalifax.ca/ and sign up for their monthly email.
Quinpool Road Business Association
For an update on what is happening with businesses on Quinpool Road please visit their website: www.quinpoolroad.ca/
Regional Council Reports and Agendas
If you want to read reports coming to Regional Council (posted mid-day Friday prior to the Tuesday meeting) or to check the agenda please go to: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/cagenda.php
- Halifax Needs Assessment report and motion:
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve in principle the Housing and Homelessness Partnership five-year affordable housing targets as presented in the June 24, 2016 supplementary staff report;
2. Direct staff to develop an implementation framework to support the implementation of the Housing and Homelessness Partnership five-year affordable housing targets that fall within the municipality’s mandate, including identifying specific actions, monitoring tools and any additional resources if required.
3. Request that the Province amend the Halifax Regional Municipality’s Charter to enable Council to implement inclusionary housing for all or part of the Municipality.
- Implementation of Density Bonusing for Private Rental Affordable Housing in the Regional Centre:
- 1. Develop an incentive or bonus zoning program for affordable housing benefits, including an Administrative Order and any required financial tools, in accordance with the program goals, assumptions, principles and directions outlined in the staff report dated September 6, 2016;
2. Negotiate with Housing Nova Scotia a Memorandum of Understanding assisting with the monitoring of affordable housing units provided by way of incentive or bonus zoning agreements.
Halifax and West Community Council Reports and Agendas
Community Council has now decided to meet on Tuesday evenings that alternate with Regional Council. Please check the webpage here for agendas (usually available a week before the meeting), locations and times. http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/west/index.php
District 7 & 8 Planning Advisory Council Reports and Agendas
The District 7&8 Planning Advisory Committee meets once a month to discuss and provide feedback to council on planning proposals for the two districts. Please check the webpage for agendas (usually available a week before the meeting), locations and times: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/D78PAC/index.php